Monday, March 14, 2011

This is War

I have talked about how my legs, lower body continues to frustrate me before. I was sort of coming around to accepting it in some ways. This is just where I am losing at a slower pace. It's also classically where I have been heavier so therefore the loss in some ways is in proportion. I saw Egon, my trainer on Saturday and he had mentioned we were really going to focus on my legs. He has clearly never been so serious about something ever. I have experienced great results with him. I am definitely stronger and leaner. Today I am in such pain it is unreal. I was sore yesterday, but manageable. I took a bath, soaked in some epsom salts and figured I was going to be in okay shape. I was so wrong. Walking is trying today. Walking. I have not been this sore since two years ago when I first started training. At first it sort of bummed me out, like I thought I had made all this progress but clearly I haven't if I am this sore. Then I reflected on our session. I did 1.5 hours of strength training purely dedicated to my legs. I did leg presses with 230 pounds of weight on it. I pressed more then I weigh. Weak legs can not do that. Strong legs can. Not only can strong legs do it but legs that are going to look amazing. Instead of dwelling on the negative or focusing on what I am not or do not look like I am going to be excited. This war that has been declared on my legs is going to yield some amazing results if I stick with it. It's hard to stick with what makes you feel weak and not always see it's not weakness it's a new stage and level. Everything I have done up until this point has lead to me being able to do this. I want legs I am proud of and feel represent the work I have put into them and there is no way that will not happen if I keep doing what Egon has me doing. My options would either be get a walker, or have the best legs I can sculpt with hard work. Cardio burns calories but strength training changes your shape. I look forward to seeing what today's hobbling leads to in reshaping me down the line.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for strength training !! I think it's great that you're switching up your routine and working on your legs (since it's an issue for you). That sounds like some serious work, for real ! Don't give up and you'll have sexy toned legs before you know it. I'm so jealous ! (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration. 1.5 hours of concentrated strength training is intense, and you're so right -- weak legs CANNOT do that! You truly deserve to be proud of your hard work and perseverance thus far, and I'm hoping that you've rewarded yourself somehow. (The last time I was so sore that I needed to take an extra day off, I treated myself to a pedicure.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samara- You are a girl after my own heart. I was going to go to the gym last night, but when walking was still difficult I skipped it and got a mani instead. I am focusing on being proud and looking ahead to the next phase. No negative leg thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way today! Though I didn't do nearly as much strength training as you - major props! Thanks for the tips on how to think about "problem" areas though, really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather- Totally not my intention to strength train forever. Egon just keeps going and going while I whine can we stretch now.

    ReplyDelete