Thursday, February 10, 2011

Need More Protein

Sometimes I feel like I am a science experiment. I saw Marisa Tuesday and she wants to shake up my metabolism and get me out of my comfort zone. We're sort of changing around my carb intake and boosting my protein. It's sort of odd to hear the word athletic tossed around in connection to myself but it makes me feel pretty cool. Marisa keeps stressing that as much as I am working out I need more protein. I also am still doing most of my eating between 3pm-8pm when your metabolism is at it's slowest because it's preparing for sleepy times. I get sort of nervous sometimes when she going to suggest some changes because she's like let me know what you think, I don't want you to feel like it's too diety, and really gentle like some big news is a comin'. I was now a little nervous and having visions of sugar free pudding days of yore. I have nothing against sugar free pudding I just do not want to live on it for the record. All we're doing is I am eating breakfast when I get up at home, which I have done successfully two days in a row, and curbing some of my carb intake there, then I have a snack 2-3 hours later with protein and a carb, normie lunch, protein heavy snack later, and normie dinner, so not much change really except I am eating every 2-3 hours. So far so good. I tend to eat every 4 hours which is probably throwing me off. It makes my eating day longer, and it makes me hungrier come meal time. I am curious to see if I stay fuller longer and eat less overall. I still struggle with wanting to just eat what's on my plate or a whole serving, but if I could really hone in on my fullness would be great. Even one less bite respecting my fullness would be a step in the right direction. It's not about shaving the calories so much as really listening to my body.

I really like making breakfast at home so far. It takes some prep time and thought but it's really relaxing and I like the me time. I wanted to get some yoga in and breakfast but right now I will work on breakfast and then add in yoga. I made scrambled egg whites morning one, and breakfast quinoa morning two. Quinoa and I are going to have to get a room soon because this love is getting real. I am going to post the recipe I used because I heart it that much. I cut the agave out, and used almond milk for the dairy for the record. I did not miss either truthfully.

I have been spending a lot of time in grocery stores because if I remember to get one thing I forget another, both times recently I wanted sweets and I wanted them real bad. I resisted the urge because really am I going to do that every time? If I get a box of something each time knowing I am going to eat if not the whole thing close to it do I really want to do that? Do I really want to hold myself back that way? Do I also really not want to figure out some of the stuff still lingering that holds me back because of Trader Joe's dark chocolate orange sticks? No I don't. I love sweets but I love me more. I love feeling healthier, stronger, and clear headed far more then any sweet. That makes it easier to walk away, even if I am a little pouty about it at first.

I am big on the tea and I highly recommend it for beating sweet cravings. I had a tasty decaf chai last night I put a little almond milk in when I really wanted something else. My absolute favorite is yogi tea's sweet thai delight, 1. because it is utterly delicious, and the 2. the name makes me giggle. It's winter, tea is soothing and it keeps me busy. Is it the same as a piece of cake? No, not even close, but does it hard core distract me when I have a bad case of the noms. Totally. I salute you tea and apologize for my angrier comments when first letting go of my behaviors that drinking you at night was a crap alternative.

We'll see what happens this week. I am trying to stay on the protein train not feel flummoxed by the changes, get to bed earlier to get up earlier, and keep the refining going. It's nice to feel freaked out but open to modification. When food does not symbolize your happiness it is easier to modify it. It's easier to let go and try something out. If I don't like it, it's one meal, one snack, one week, it's not a big deal or a failure to fill that void of unhappiness. That is way too much pressure for any meal. It will never live up to it, it will never make you happy unless you already are.







Tasty Brekkie Quinoa Recipe from 101 Cookbooks:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/warm-and-nutty-cinnamon-quinoa-recipe.html


1 cup organic 1% low fat milk
1 cup water
1 cup organic quinoa, (hs note: rinse quinoa)
2 cups fresh blackberries, organic preferred
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
4 teaspoons organic agave nectar, such as Madhava brand

Combine milk, water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Stir in blackberries and cinnamon; transfer to four bowls and top with pecans. Drizzle 1 teaspoon agave nectar over each serving.

Serves 4.

*While the quinoa cooks, roast the pecans in a 350F degree toaster oven for 5 to 6 minutes or in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Yummm! Before I coo my quinoa, I like to soak soak first - 15 minutes in cool water or 5 minutes in very warm water. This removes a bitter taste that is on the outside of the quinoa seed. I can't wait to make. Thanks for the post girl! You Rock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,
    Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I found your blog via fitperez.com and have spent my entire evening reading it back to front! I'm in the first stages of becoming a healthy person and it has been truly inspiring to read your posts. I appreciate that you talk about positive and negative things that are going on in your life, and the "eat intuitively" philosophy is right up my street. Looking forward to reading more of this gift you are sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MVL- I soak and rinse, but it's really tough. They are tiny little escape artists those grains. I use a coffee press now to rinse them. It helps.


    Heather- Lovely to e-meet you. Thank you so much for reading and introducing yourself. I appreciate it so much, and love getting to know the people who help me do this. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

    ReplyDelete