Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Not My Best Day

Saw Marisa today. Weight was up. I finally got the nerve up to ask her what the actual number is....and I am up 5 more pounds then I thought. So annoying. What's more annoying is I have been basically going in a circle for a month. Up and down the same pounds and not making an progress. I need to re-engage and get back on track but I do not know why I am even off track to begin with. Is it winter blues, work stress, worn out from the losing marathon? I do not know it could be all three. I have to take a break from some of the other mental work I have been doing to check back in and get myself on track. I am going to try really focusing on measuring my food, I have slacked on this for sure, and logging my emotions in my food journal. I just got back to journal'ing after taking a brief break and it feels good to be on track with that. I also need to throw the peanut butter I have at home out. Peanut butter every night is not a winning plan. I am also thinking about cutting out sweets again. I wonder if removing my food security blanket will make me confront whatever I am still not seeing or tapping into.

What bothers me more then the gain is that I am still turning to food emotionally. Marisa told me a story today about someone, not sure if it was a nutritionist or what who woke up one morning in Hawaii with a fierce craving for Carvel. She's like of all the things to go searching for in Hawaii, anyway the woman was eating her carvel ice cream and a memory about her father came to her because it was something they enjoyed together and realized what she really wanted was a hug. She went home asked her husband to hug her and found the hug felt better then the ice cream tasted. I thought this was an interesting story but for me it does not always work that way. It is not always so clear what I am masking, avoiding, running from or not seeing to. I do not always know or understand why I reach for sweets instead of dealing. I take it as the craving for sweet not the craving for something else. This is part of why I am where I am today. I hope to one day be able to see what I really need and not reach for the food. I know I will get there I just do not know how at the moment. It leaves me restless but not reaching for food which is one step in the right direction. It will do for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment