Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Petite Rant

There are two sides of the Lena Dunham debate for the most part. Those who love her, and those who hate her. I happen to love her. I think she's fascinating, smart, writing what needs to be said, and funny. I like that she's not afraid to be herself, sorta weird, not perfect, and fearless. What I absolutely cannot stand is the conversation around her body. Sure, she does write her series Girls and she does put sex scenes in it. Twenty somethings having sex is not news. A less then rail thin 20 something having sex is also not news. It's also so besides the point of the work that she does. As someone who spent my twenties muddling through New York, I tell ya it was a lot more Girls then it was Sex in the City. It was messy, hard, less entitled I'm not a millenial after all, but so much of it makes me cringe and laugh because well I've been there.

The NY Post critic who said:

"It's not every day in the TV world of anorexic actresses with fake boobs that a woman with giant thighs, a sloppy backside and small breasts is compelled to show it all."

And:

"In fact, Adam as well as another man are now obsessed with her and can't get enough of her blobby body."

This sort of talk is gross. How about reviewing the actual show? And using the word blobby? Her body is not blobby, nor are her thighs giant. I do not see in a television series review why you need to describe someone's body as blobby. You're a writer. Find a better word, or how about this write about the show?  Give me a break. Homegirl wore Zac Posen to the Golden Globes, Zac don't do blobby. 

I saw this quote recently and it made me think of this reviewer and well it sorta sums it up for me. Linda Stasi you are an idiot. Hillary Clinton says so. 


"You may not agree with a woman, but to criticize her appearance — as opposed to her ideas or actions — isn’t doing anyone any favors, least of all you. Insulting a woman’s looks when they have nothing to do with the issue at hand implies a lack of comprehension on your part, an inability to engage in high-level thinking. You may think she’s ugly, but everyone else thinks you’re an idiot."
Hillary Clinton (via unhappie
Blobby or normal? I'd say that's a pretty average un-photoshopped butt. 

5 comments:

  1. "ZAC DON'T DO BLOBBY."

    Word. And I completely agree that all this discussion of her body under the guise of reviewing the show is seriously F-ed up.

    Also: Hillary Clinton rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think people are like HOW DARE YOU not be perfect. I mean the criticism of her and the show is intense, can you imagine if she was conventionally beautiful? Yowsa. I am also died when the word blobby was actually used last episode. Died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her body to me, looks better than normal.... She just isn't the typical 'only for tv' size 00 just fell off a catwalk into the pool of overly beautiful rarities they seem to only show us. I think some people have been so brainwashed they don't know what normal is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she is beautiful. Except the scene with her eating cake in a public toilet. I think she has a gorgeous, sexy body and a fantastic and totally spankable butt. I'd take her over any of the silicone enhanced anorexic barbie doll Hollywood chicks any day. The best part is all that hotness comes with a brain and personality that would make her sexy even if she were not physically attractive. Thank God there are still real women of substance out there instead of spindly twigs. Lena and other girls with her build totally rock! Since I don't have a Google account or an URL I had to publish this as anonymous, but I'll sign my name. Jay Billings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jay Billings, you are totally tops. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and putting your name to them. Awesome. My thing is there's a place for everyone, super thin, super not, a totally spankable butt, but the reaction to her show being so implausible because of her appearance is nuts. Many a man, yourself included has said her hotness/sexiness whatever you want to call it, comes from her brain and personality. Thank you again for asserting that.

    ReplyDelete