Thursday, April 4, 2013

Food Ruts and Quinoa Salad

I get into such food ruts. For the most part of find it pretty comforting, eating the same things day in and day out, and then one day I can take it no more. I noticed recently that I was hungry a lot of the time right after eating meals. In chatting with Stephanie (new nutritionist) we theorized that I was pretty bored and that would be affecting my satiation. 

She challenged me this week when making my lunch for every single lunch to be different. I sort of squeaked and said FIVE unique lunches?! Then I calmed the eff down because it's lunch not molecular biology and I can handle it and like a challenge. It hasn't been too bad. She also gave me a head start with a delicious recipe I suggest. I cut it in half because for (4) portions because I wasn't going to be having it all week for lunch. The recipe is from Vegetarian Times, and modified a lil by the two of us. 

The key to keep it interesting for me has been staying one meal ahead. Generally I have been making dinner and while it's cooking preparing snacks for the next day, and portioning off dinner for lunch the next day. Dinner's I have repeated meals, because it's hard to cook for one, and not have leftovers. I have tried to not repeat back to back nights so there is still some variety. 

Next up is varying my breakfasts, and snacks. I am definitely over my usuals. If anyone has any suggestions, please, please, please share them!!


Wheat Berry Salad or Quinoa Salad ( for 8 servings) 
  • 1 cup wheat berries  ( I used quinoa because 1. I had it on hand, and 2. it takes 15 mins to make)
  • 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 small bulbs fennel, chopped (1 ½ cups) (left these out) 
  • ½ cup golden raisins
  • 4 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced (½ cup)
  • 16 pitted large green olives, coarsely chopped ( used capers instead about 1/3 a cup)
  • 1 5-oz. bag arugula or baby spinach (6 cups)
  • 3 oz. aged goat cheese, crumbled (¾ cup)
  • ¼ cup shelled pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
Honey-Balsamic Dressing
  • 3 ½ Tbs. balsamic vinegar
  • 3 ½ Tbs. honey
1. To make Wheat Berry Salad: Bring 4 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Add wheat berries, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, 1 hour, or until grains are tender, adding more water as necessary. Cool in covered pan, then drain if necessary.
2. Toss together wheat berries, chickpeas, fennel, raisins, green onions, and olives. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
3. To make Honey-Balsamic Dressing: Place balsamic vinegar and honey in small plastic container with lid, cover, and shake to combine.
4. To serve: Toss arugula with 3 Tbs. Honey-Balsamic Dressing in bowl. Toss wheat berry mixture with goat cheese, pistachios and remaining dressing. Divide arugula among eight plates. Top with Wheat Berry Salad, and serve.

As prepared nutritional stats:

Per Serving:

  • Calories: 343
  • Protein: 13 g
  • Total Fat: 9 g
  • Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
  • Carbohydrates: 54 g
  • Cholesterol: 8 mg
  • Sodium: 485 mg
  • Fiber: 9 g
  • Sugar: 19 g







1 comment:

  1. Yum, that sounds really tasty, saw you left the fennel out, id do the same!!!
    re breakfasts, have you tried the Jamie Oliver style of making porridge, google pukkola i think he calls it, really tasty.
    snacks - boiled egg, carrot or celery sticks and a wedge of laughing cow cheese or peanut butter,

    ReplyDelete