Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Oh Great An Eating Holiday

Maybe it's because I lived abroad for years where there wasn't a Thanksgiving or because my own family just wanted devout about celebrating it but I am not a huge Thanksgiving person. It's a great idea in theory a day of reflecting on what you are thankful for. Big fan of that. What I am a little less a fan of is a day dedicated to eating. I celebrate it with my mom and brother so it being the three of us makes the food volume a lot lower. I have a lot to be thankful for as well. Below are some tips to keep Thanksgiving in check and healthy living going, and my own what I am thankful for list.


Tips:

1. DO NOT GO TO THANKSGIVING HUNGRY, sorry to yell but this is super important. Do not for one second think I'll skip breakfast and lunch or whatever in order to make up for the calorie intake of the meal. This is a recipe for disaster. By the time you sit down to eat you're going to be super hungry and not stand a chance at eating a sensible meal.

2. Yay for lean protein! Take advantage of the turkey. Try to eat it skinless and enjoy it.

3. Try to load up on vegetables and fruits first if you can. If you put veggies on your plate first then you have less room for starch.

4. Eat what you enjoy, just try to be smart about the portion.

5. Eat around your plate, don't go for what you love first. Eating around your plate helps you feel satiated quicker.

6. Eat slowly, it's not going anywhere and when you are full remove yourself from the food. Perfect time for a walk no?

7. Drink lots of water, stay hydrated just like any other day.

8. Use a smaller plate. Smaller plate smaller portions and give yourself permission to have seconds.

9. Do you need everything? If you love mac and cheese, and sweet potatoes do you need a roll? Lets face it you're going to be full. The roll, cheese plate, relish tray whatever may not be necessary.

10. If you are really afraid of what your options may be, bring something! Introduce your family to something new and cover your own bases.


Thankful List:

1. I am thankful for my amazing team of support and the continued education, guidance and support they give me.

2. I am thankful for embracing exercise and it not being a chore.

3. I am thankful for the amazing women who have come in to my life as of late. They are a continued source of inspiration and utter coolness.

4. I am thankful for having made lifestyle changes that have enriched my life in ways I am still unable to articulate properly. It goes so far beyond weight loss. The weight was never the problem it was the symptom.

5. I am thankful for alternative grains, sweet potatoes, almond milk, and dark chocolate.

6. I am SUPER thankful for having so many different outlets beyond food to cope with my life, including but not limited to this blog, and FitPerez.com.

7. I am thankful for really being okay with who I am and what I am about. It may have taken until 30 to embrace this but better late then never.

8. I am thankful I didn't have gastric not because there is anything in any way wrong with it but that I trusted it wasn't right for me. Listening to this voice changed my life in the best of ways.

9. Super excited about the way my communication and dialogue with my mom is evolving and growing. She'll never get it, but I love her for trying. She has never given up trying or lost hope I would figure my problems out. It's a comfort on tough days.

10. I am thankful to be living and functioning without an eating disorder for the first time in my life. I manage it now. It doesn't manage me and I decide how my life goes, what I eat, when I eat it, and how I feel about it the disorder doesn't.

Happy Holidays to everyone. LOTS-O-LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment