Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Well That's a Little Perplexing

Last week when I saw Marisa I was up 3.5 pounds. I was not hugely sweating it. It was the morning after the event. I had spent the evening eating little passable salt licks, or as other people know them hors d'oeuvres. I also had my fair share of vodka sodas. It was a great night. The next morning when I woke up a little worst for wear, I was also bloat-zilla. My rings were literally cutting into me. I use my rings as a bloat guide. They fit me loosely so when they are threatening to turn my fingers purple I am at risk for a sodium related heart attack. Marisa did not really buy my it's bloat explanation. I do not blame her. I mean my track record with food related honesty is not so good. For once I was confident though. Yes there had been girl scout cookies, the whole drink for the Irish cause, dinner with the girls where I ate a small country's bread supplies worth of pita bread, guiness brownies, and probably some other not so good food. I also knew I had worked out a lot, eaten everything except the girl scout cookies in moderation, and no joke my fingers were purple. This week I was down 5.5 pounds.

 I am not a big numbers girl. I just wanted to be down what I had been up. They are reference but I have to admit I did feel a sense of vindication that I was down 5.5 pounds. Marisa of course had to flag that being up 3.5 pounds the week before, and then down 5.5 pounds the next week was not a good thing. It's not. It's a big fluctuation. It's not one I plan on being in the habit of, but it was really nice that for once, my I swear it isn't me weight gain seems to have not been me. Told you it was the salt licks. 


P.S. here's some video from the event I produced!! I swear an actual post is coming about it. 







2 comments:

  1. 1. I'd really love to hear more of Marisa's thoughts on big weight fluctuations. Is she concerned that you might be binge eating one week and then starving yourself the next? How much bloat/weight gain can be blamed on sodium and sugar?
    2. You produced an event that included a performance by Fred and Carrie?! I DEMAND DETAILS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samara- I am not 100% her thoughts, but I do know she is not big on extremes one way or another. She never likes me to lose more then 2.5 pounds. If I am losing more then that she gets a little more eagle eyed about my food journal and if I am restricting. A natural weight fluctuation she has told me is 2-4 pounds so I think sometimes with big gains or losses you could also just be caught in the natural fluctuation. When I lost 7 pounds once, she was like you could have lost 3 pounds and then been at the peak of your fluctuation 4 pounds giving you 7. She also has concerns about rebound gains. Sometimes with a bigger loss because of sodium, natural flux, you think you lost 4 pounds but then the next week you're up 2 because really you didn't lose those 4 pounds you lost 2. It's muy complicado.

    ReplyDelete